Day 4 – DIY Laundry Detergent – {DIY From Scratch}

100_3826Today’s {DIY From Scratch} isn’t new to me.  I’ve made DIY laundry detergent before both in the liquid, gloppy form and powdered form.   We prefer the powdered.  I used this recipe to make the powdered and chose to follow it again because 1) I’ve had good results and 2) we were out of detergent.

This recipe is incredibly economical and clean clothes well.  The batch costs about $7 to make and yields enough for 128 loads.  In our house this will last about 8 months!

01d4a7ef7084fcc4437763d150da1e09434b0bedb5The last time I made this detergent I used Fels Naptha soap and loved it, but was ready for a change.  A friend told me about Zote soap which is also a laundry soap.  It’s good for delicate clothes and supposedly whitens really well.  It’s also pink!

0193ec7c5b0984047618d156280eea2cf8b056fa5bThe original recipes calls for 2 bars of the Fels Naptha, but the Zote bar is much bigger so I only used one bar.  I grated the Zote soap into a bowl.  I then mixed my washing soda, baking soda and borax into my detergent container (an old store-bought detergent container) and stirred them together. Just a quick note: Since the last time I made detergent there have been warnings going around about new studies that are showing that Borax powder fumes may cause reproductive harm in men.  I wasn’t too worried because I’m making the detergent and after it’s all mixed together it doesn’t give off any powdery fumes.  Obviously this is a decision you’ll have to make for yourself.

01170560bb99b0c51931f2f3a8037f91566b9d4170In the past I’ve made DIY concoctions, really like them, used them, then when I wanted to remake them, I couldn’t locate the recipe.  Well this time, I’m not going to let that happen.  I’ll be putting together a DIY recipe book for myself as I go along as well as writing the recipe and instructions on the container holding the DIY goodness.  For today’s detergent, I wrote everything on top of the lid of the container.

Happy cleaning!

Until tomorrow,

Grace

IMG_3787

Do you think this detergent could clean my tennis ball.  It’s a bit dirty.

This entry was posted in Cleaning, DIY From Scratch, Goals, Homemade, Pinterest, Recipes, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Day 4 – DIY Laundry Detergent – {DIY From Scratch}

1. I have been doing this for a couple years and I will never buy it at the store again. It works just as well and it saves a small fortune. I make it once a year in a 5 gallon bucket. My husband laughed at me at first but now he loves it.

• gracieed says:

That’s a great idea about the 5 gallon bucket. I don’t mind the mixing, but grating the soap is a pain. To only have to do that once a year would be great. I agree, it works wonderfully.

2. AndreSue says:

I’ve been meaning to try this. Did you find all the ingredients at the local store or did you have to order any of them?

• gracieed says:

I found all of them at Walmart and I’m pretty sure most grocery stores carry them in the laundry section. I did order the Zote soap from Amazon. Like I said I’ve made the detergent with the Fels Naphta soap and it was great. It was a wonderful fresh scent and I found it at the grocery store.

• AndreSue says:

Thanks for the info. I have to use hypoallergenic laundry soap. I wonder if this recipe would fit the bill… I’m going to have to really look into it. It’s so much cheaper than the “organic-style” laundry soaps!

• gracieed says:

I would really research the ingredients and also look at the ingredients used in your organic soaps. There’s got to be a cheaper alternative out there. I’m even wondering about making a soap that I could use instead of the Zote or Fels Naphta. It’s important that I don’t use anything that would clog up my machine. The other thing to consider is the new HE machines. I don’t have one but if I start changing things around it might be a problem for any machine.

• AndreSue says:

I agree that there’s got to be a cheaper solution. I just need to look into it. I don’t know why I’ve waited so long. There’s probably someone out in the blogosphere that has experimented and figured it out. We’ve just got to stumble across their blog. 🙂

3. Debra L says:

I really want to do this, but just have a couple questions.
    1) how big is the container?
    2) where do you find the ingredients?

• gracieed says:

This particular container holds 22 lbs. it’s an old detergent container from the store. I buy my ingredients at Walmart or Winco. The Zote soap I found at Amazon, but the Fels Naphta soap you can buy at Walmart or Winco.

• gracieed says:

The recipe fills my container half way. So it makes approximately 10 lbs. you need an airtight container by the way to keep the soap shavings soft.

4. Organizing Chic[k] says:

Love it! I recently just made the liquid gloppy kind but I really think it works well and I am so happy for how cheap it is!! Question: Do you ever add essential oils to your detergent and if you do how much would you say? 🙂

• gracieed says:

I’ve never added essential oils but I think that’s a fantastic idea. I would start small, say about 30 drops for this batch. And mix it in really well. Maybe add it to the baking soda before you mix it into the other ingredients. Keep in mind though, the Fels Naphta soap has a strong clean scent while the Zote soap is milder. You’ll want to pick scents that complement not compete.

• Organizing Chic[k] says:

Okay, that makes sense to put it in the baking soda first! Thank you!! 😀

I look forward to your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s