Every now and then when I’m walking dogs, I will just stop, ask them to sit for about 30 seconds and then I will say “walk on”. That is there cue to start walking again. I do this for a couple of reasons: 1. They’re super focused when they’re on the walk and I like to know I can get their attention any time I need it. 2. It’s good to continue to incorporate training into their daily routines. Just as we need to continue to refine our skills, so must dogs.
This always reminds me how important it is for me to pause and reflect on the past week and then think about the next one as I “walk on”.
Paws | Week of 12.14-12.20
• had a wonderful get together with some long time friends. Shared some yummy appetizers and Christmas gifts.
• called my Grandpa in England.
• finished The God Ask: A Fresh, Biblical Approach to Personal Support Raising with Mike. We’re spending the next couple of weeks working on the details of everything we read.
• walked the dogs everyday. I love the decorations that my neighbors put on their trees.
• watched Fred Clause, It’s a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Story, The Polar Express, Babette’s Feast, The Santa Clause, A Christmas Carol, Santa Paws, Santa Paws 2, The 12 Dogs of Christmas.
• filled the Advent Calendar for my dogs. And the promptly removed the treats because Mindy wouldn’t let anyone get near it. It created great stress in our house. We discovered that Mindy’s super power is “Protector of all Food”. Oh well at least I tried.
• finished my Christmas shopping.
• had friends over for Christmas lunch and gifts. So much fun.
• planted an amaryllis.
• finished a knitted hat for a Christmas gift.
• enjoying our Christmas decorations.
• finished Christmas cards.
• worked on a knitting project. Details to come later.
• picked up reserved books from the library. I’m ready for book #2.
Walk On | Week of 12.21-12.27
• call my Grandpa in England.
• make more dog beds and collars to sell on Etsy.
• taking part in a December Photo-a-day challenge. Still catching up.
• make birthday cards for December/January birthdays.
• celebrate Ellie’s 9th birthday.
• prep January Card Series || Cards for 2015.
• send out Christmas cards.
• continue watching Christmas movies.
• spend Christmas eve with Mike’s family.
• go to Christmas eve service at our church.
• teach a friend’s daughter how to sew with her brand new sewing machine.
• go to the movies on Christmas day with Mike. It’s just the two of us and we want to see The Hobbit and The Imitation Game.
My favorite quote from the week: “If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy, and inspires your hopes.” Andrew Carnegie.
I’m really enjoying the Christmas decorations as well and I’m sorry my “Protector of all Food” super power has caused problems.